Actually hybrids don't suck.
But they're not spectacular either.
Not when you compare them to cars built using traditional aerodynamics, a more fuel-efficient engine and are built to be lightweight.
Cars like the Audi A8.
Not too long ago Jeremy Clarkson of the popular BBC television show "Top Gear" drove an Audi A8 from London England to Edinburgh Scotland and then back to London again... all on a single tank of gasoline. (It took him a day to drive there and another day to drive back. People usually fly or take the train there because its such a long hilly drive.)
Now THAT is fuel efficiency. Not even a hybrid can achieve that. A Smart Car would be able to do it, but a Smart Car is really more like half-a-car so its really no wonder. But an Audi A8 is a regular car.
Better yet, its practically a sports car.
So its sexy AND efficient.
Why spend so much money buying a hybrid car with its extra heavy electrical/gasoline engine and extra heavy batteries to run the electric half of the engine?
Granted, not everyone can afford an Audi A8, but then again most people can't afford a hybrid either. So if you're rich enough to buy a hybrid, why not use that money to buy a normally fuel efficient car? If you compare the actual fuel efficiency for the hybrids and the other normal fuel efficient cars I think you might be pleasantly surprised.
Also, why aren't they building hybrid SUVs? People keep complaining about their fuel consumption why not just build SUVs that are more efficient?
Myself I'm a classic british car fan. I'm saving up to buy a 1976 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
Sure, like all cars built in the 1970s its not very economical in terms of fuel efficiency, but I don't care. The '76 Aston Martin V8 Vantage is a thing of beauty. Its a work of art. I'd stick it on a platform in my living room as a sculpture/loveseat and then only drive it on special occasions.
The primary problem with cars from 1970s is that they really were designed for looks. They looked fabulous and futuresque, but they drank gas like a turbo charged ice cream truck.
Which begs the question: Do fuel efficient cars have to be ugly?
No, I don't think they do.
And the very sexy Audi A8 proves my point.
Best of all if you buy an used Audi A8 I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the price.
- A Fair Share For Canadian Farmers!
- Brian Mulroney Vs Stephen Harper? Mulroney Nostalgia
- Can Canada's industrial base survive Asian Competition?
- Canada eZine
- Canada's Fallen Soldiers in Afghanistan
- Canadian Business & Politics
- Canadian Tax Reform
- Canadian Unity Vs. Quebec Separatism
- Election 2007 in Canada - Liberals Vs Conservatives
- Environment hurt by Quebec Separatism?
- Environment trips up Tories
- Garth Turner Goes Green?
- Harper Flip Flops on Same Sex Marriages
- Harper shakes hands with Terrorist Warlord
- I AM CANADIAN
- Liquor store rakes in Canadian Tire Money
- NAFTA II - Expanding the North American Free Trade Agreement
- Neo-Conservative Budget in Canada: 2006
- Ontario Goes Nuclear
- Par in sight for Canadian Dollar
- Politics of Canada Webring
- Quebec's Political Woes
- Stephen Harper Vs Kyoto and the Environment
- The Canada & USA Webring
- The Canada Webring
- The Canadian Culture Webring
- The Canadian Politics Webring
- The Canadiana Webring
- The Conservative Party of Canada
- The Reform Party is Gone
- Tim's a Hit in Afghanistan
- Tory Green and the Oil Industry
- True North, Strong & Free
- Will Canada go Penny-less?